- Ask a Question
- Write a Blog Post
- Login / Sign-up
What is Account Assignment Category in SAP MM, How to configure?
This Blog Post will give the overview on what is Account Assignment Category in SAP MM and How to configure it within SAP system. I will explain configuration step by step in SAP configuration.
This article will guide you through step by step procedure and will give you the complete idea on usage of Account Assignment Category and Item Category.
Account Assignment Category:
It indicates what type of purchase the company is doing in Purchasing Documents, whether it is for consumption or anything relation to orders, projects etc. The nature of this also indicates which accounts it needs to be charged for when the incoming invoice and Goods Receipt are posted.
Depending on the requirements you can create customized ones as well. Select one line item and click on the icon (with the magnifying class). Or if you want to create one Hit the “New Entries” icon.
Certain configuration needs to be maintained for a particular account assignment category and the screen selection. Below image shows the configuration and screen selection..
The above screen will pop-up to maintain the configs. For now, lets consider K- Cost Center
So, for “K” only GL Account, Cost Center needs to be mandatory i.e. user need to specify the respective value for this and for rest can be maintained as optional/hidden/display.
In the detailed Information tab, we can see certain options
- assg.changeable (Account Assignment Changeable) – It indicates whether the specified Account Assignment category can be changed in Goods Receipt/Invoice Receipt or not.
- Consumption Posting – It specifies whether the goods that are procured are used for which purpose like for personal usage or for a project. Some options include Consumption, Asset, Unknown, Accounting via Project/ Sales Order
- For example , let say you need to buy 300 chairs for IT dept but HR dept also needs 200 chairs. So, you will create a purchase order for 500 chairs with Account Assignment Category ‘K’. If distribution is configured than you can split the qty in 300 – 200 and assign them to their respective GL Account/ Cost Center in Purchase Order. Since each department would be having it’s own Cost Center.
- Account Modification – IT indicates what GL account it will be posted through the Account Determination
- acct.assgt (Derive Account Assignment) – If this is configured for an account assignment category, then the GL account and Cost Center will be pulled automatically by the system. (Pre-requisite: In Acct Modification whatever value is maintained for that a corresponding GL account should be defined in Tcode OBYC) This can be used for both materials having MMR or without MMR.
- ID: AcctAssgt Scrn (Account Assignment Screen) – Defines whether it is a single or multiple account assignment.
After this we have certain checkboxes like Goods Receipt/ Invoice Receipt – Defines whether Goods Receipt will be relevant or not for the items created with this account assignment category.
After completing all the steps you can create the Purchase Orders using an Account Assignment Category.
So here we complete the configuration about the Account Assignment Categories.
Let’s move to what combination of Account Assignment and Item Category is allowed in Purchasing document.
It is a mapping between the Item Categories and Account Assignment that indicates what are the relevant and correct combination that can be used in purchasing document.
Okay, now you might be wondering what are item category?
Item categories are defined to provide additional control functions for the documents to meet the demands resulting from different business transactions.
Basically it has the same functions as of Account Assignment but with a different set of usage.
There are different Item categories configured in system. You can define/create them here
The above are some standard Item category defined by SAP, but always open to create a custom one as per the requirements.
Here I complete the detailed explanation of Account Assignment, Item Category & it’s configuration in SAP MM.
Please do provide your valuable feedback on this post in comments section, this will help me in improving my content and share more knowledge with this community, also you can follow me for more content related to SAP!
Till then Happy learning!
Nice thanks for sharing
- Share Right click and copy the link to share this comment
Hi Garvit, i guess new Item categories can't be created and only those provided by standard system to be used.
Enter the destination URL
Or link to existing content
- Ask a Question
- Write a Blog Post
- Login / Sign-up
Account Assignment chang in purchase order
Is it possible to change the account assignment catagory in purchase order.
While creating contract we use account assignment U - Unknown and when we create a PO wit referece to Conract, We want to change it to U to K - Cost Center.
Currently account assignment field is display in PO.
Account assignment are basically used for direct charge of material or material without a material number. ... These are most commonly used by MM.
P- Project, results in a consumption posting. Stock is taken in to the books & transferred of to the Consumption account. ... For recording the Project stock in
Generally used Account Assignment Categories are Cost Center (K) in case of Miscellaneous Purchases, Assets (A) in Capital Goods Purchases, etc.
You can assign one or more account assignments to an item. Multiple account assignment allows you to apportion the costs covered by a purchase order partly to
go to menu path Spro-> material management -> purchasing-> Account Assignment -> Maintain Account Assignment categories. If you want to change
It indicates what type of purchase the company is doing in Purchasing Documents, whether it is for consumption or anything relation to orders
ME2K is called "Purchasing Documents by Account Assignment", however it works only with Cost Centers. Am I missing something? Can you please
If you change the account assignment category from A directly to B, system takes all account assignment objects from A as manual entry, and derive other account
It is possible to change the Account assignment category while doing PO. Just give as "K" while processing PO and you would need to provide the respective Cost
You specify which account assignment object is to be charged via the account assignment category such as (cost center, sales order, and so on) Which