- Skip to primary navigation
- Skip to main content
- Skip to primary sidebar
- Classroom Ideas
- Teacher’s Life
- Deals & Shopping
26 Solar System Project Ideas for Kids that are Out of this World
January 26, 2022 // by Eileen Zajac
Solar System Activities for Preschool & Kindergarten
1. edible science craft.
This fun solar system model would be awesome for homeschool, daycare, and at-home preschools. It's easy and fun for kids to color the different planets according to pictures they've seen in a story you read or on a poster you've presented!
Get the recipe and more here !
2. Solar System Sensory Fun Activities
Even our littlest scientists can start learning about the solar system, start this project with a book for students. Little kiddos absolutely love sensory play. Incorporate some STEM learning at a young age with a sensory activity for kids like this .
3. Edible Solar System
Check out this awesome edible solar system. This is an extremely engaging activity for students. They will love making, decorating, and then, of course, devouring their solar system model.
Learn more about the recipe here !
Solar System Activities for Grades Kindergarten - Grade 2
4. playdough planets.
Playdough always gets my kiddos interested in whatever we're about to do. This solar system project is a bit more intense with setup, but completely worth it. Have a model ready to go so students don't get lost in the plethora of materials!
alittlepinchofperfect gives a great outline for this science project!
5. Foldable Planets - Solar System Poster
Here is an excellent project for our youngest learners! This is an easy cut-and-paste project. It can be used for modeling and checking for understanding. Providing students with a hands-on activity to learn the alignment of the planets.
Learn more about this awesome solar idea here !
6. Solar System model WITH fruits
Take a look at this adorable science snack idea and intuitive way to model with fruits. Allowing students to incorporate food into their learning is a great way to influence them in the way they talk during snacks and other meals. See if they can build their own model with fruits.
Try this and see what they come up with!
7. Water Color Solar System
Another one for our little scientists. Getting kiddos to recognize the planets at a young age is so important. This will keep your little ones busy and engaged while also learning to visualize the solar system.
8. Whole-Class Awesome Solar System Project
This is a great project for the whole class to be involved in. Whether you have a lot of absences or just a small class in general this is a great mini-lesson or project to have to go in the back of your classroom.
Check it out here !
9. Spinning Science Craft
With this spinning solar system, lower elementary students can get a better grasp of how the solar system rotations work. Being able to visualize this from a young age will help them in upper elementary solar system units.
Learn more here !
Solar System Activities for Grades 3-5
10. solar system bottle caps project.
Not only is this project great because students can make an accurate depiction of the Solar System, but it also uses materials that can easily be found! By using recycled bottle caps students can make a replica of the Solar System and use it as a presentation.
You can find detailed instructions about this project here !
11. Popsicle Stick Solar System Science Project Ideas
Have your students create a model of the solar system using popsicle sticks. I know that students in my classroom LOVE when they get to decorate and use their creativity on popsicle sticks. This is a simple, fun project for any grade! Have students keep it in their science notebooks.
12. DIY Solar Jar
Upper elementary students LOVE DIY solar jar projects. I feel like we end up doing so many by the end of 6th grade. Probably because materials are easy and they make great decorations. This solar system in a jar will be a perfect addition to your solar system unit!
Find more info at teachbesideme
13. Simple Solar Systems Rock!
This creative solar system science project will allow kids to destress and also learn while they paint the planets on rocks. After painting teachers can choose what to do with the solar system rocks! This can be a great cross-curriculum science and art project.
14. Solar System Projects for Kids using Oreos!
Moon phases are always so much fun to teach and learn. I like to have students watch a video tutorial about the moon first, next I show a model with my own Oreos and earth, and finally, I let the kiddos take over and create their own models!
Find out more here !
15. Paper Mache Solar System
Paper Mache is an elementary school favorite. It's not only used for beads and volcanoes. This is a beautiful science project using students' knowledge about the solar system, some rubber balls, and, of course, paper mache.
You can find detailed instructions about this beautiful science project here !
16. Hanging Planets
Here is a super cute solar system project for your astronomy unit and a future decoration for your classroom! Students will love to see these solar systems hanging from the ceiling. They also are so much fun to make!
Find out how to make this project here !
17. Solar System Cootie Catcher
My students love to study using cootie catchers. We've made them in all different subjects. Last year we made them help students with different math problems. Check out these amazing solar system cootie catchers ! Your students will have so much fun. These can even be flattened and kept in a student's science notebook.
Source: Rock your Homeschool
18. Fizzy Science Project Ideas
The Fizzy Solar system project is fun, engaging, and a little bit messy. Students will love to create these models of the planets and then watch them fizzle and crackle! It's easy enough and engaging enough for any classroom.
Solar System Activities for Grades 6-8
19. simple solar balloon system.
Who doesn't love balloons? Kids have a blast blowing and playing with balloons. They can, of course, get a little out of hand sometimes but that's where the fun comes in! Allow students to color and play with balloons in this year's solar system science unit.
20. Solar System Facts
This is a great Solar project! Students could complete this collaboratively. It could be a cross-curricular project incorporating research and fact writing about each planet. Students will love the creativity along with expressing their knowledge.
21. Planet Fact Fans | Upper Elementary Solar System Project Ideas
Upper elementary grades can become difficult when trying to reach standards and still keep your class engaged. With these fact fans, you'll not only reach objectives but will also engage students by using their creativity to make the planets, conduct research in their science notebook, and maybe even solar system posters!
Have students create their own or purchase a template here !
22. Cup, Plate Styrofoam Model For Kids
Having students make a super-simple model of the solar system 10-inch styrofoam ball will be fun and engage with low prep on your part. Give students materials and a model and they should be off and running with this solar system science project.
23. Solar System 3D Model
Have your upper elementary students create an old-fashioned 3D diorama like this one. These are such fun projects for kids. Students will love to research facts about planets and then create their own solar system model. Showcasing all they've learned throughout your solar system unit.
Here's an example image!
24. Simple 3D Solar Projects
Here are nice and simple projects for kids using styrofoam balls and a coat hanger or sticks! This is a low-material project for kids of all ages to engage in and learn about the solar system. Try using pom-pom balls!
25. Pom-pom Balls Solar System Model
Pom-pom balls are always a win. Here's a great model idea for elementary students using pom-pom balls. They will even love to make their own pom-pom balls according to the colors of the planets. Learn how to make your own Pom-pom balls here !
26. More Balloons!
A classroom filled with balloons is enticing to students of all ages. Especially when they get to help make it! Work together to make this awesome giant classroom solar system. Have students watch a video tutorial and see if they can move their balloons like the solar system!
Check out more ideas here !
You'll also like:.
No related posts.
- New? Start Here!
24 EPIC Solar System Project Ideas for kids
Solar System Project
As I was looking for ideas for our upcoming solar system unit I decided to browse around pinterest to get some inspiration. WOW! There are such creative people out there! With such a plethora of super creative and fun solar system projects for kids, I just had to make a round up to share these creative Solar system project ideas with all of you. Whether you are looking for a solar system for kids projects for preschoolers, kindergartners, or elementary age students in grade 1, grade 2, grade 2, grade 4, grade 5, or grade 6 – you will love these fun ideas. This is a growing list of solar system projects so you can get inspired and pick the best solar system project for kids all in one place.
Solar system project for kids
These easy solar system project suggestions are perfect for parents, teachers, or homeschooler to make the solar system interseting for kids and kick-start your solar system for kids lesson!
Solar system activities for kids
Tap Light Planets from Play at Home Mom 3. I love how this project will light up your childs room and serve as an educational night light.
Solar system projects
Make the Solar System out of Food like Creative Kid Snacks. This adorable science snack idea is not only educational, but healthy too.
Solar system project ideas
Make practicing the names of the planets and the order of the planets from the sun with this easy to make Paint Stick Solar System Project . I love that there is an activity to this clever, unique science project for kids.
Easy solar system project
Planets Snowglobe from Red Ted Art. This science craft is such a creative way for kids to learn about the planets in our solar system and review day after day.
Solar system experiments
Solar System Brownies from Almost Unschoolers. This easy-to-make and yummy solar system project is sure to be a favorite of kids for years to come.
Solar system for kids projects
Paper Mache Planets from At Home with Ali. This inexpensive, DIY planet project uses baloons and paper mache to create a beautiful science project.
Solar system Craft
Playdough Solar System from 123 Homeschool 4 Me. This project is simple to make as it uses a tactile material you probably already have on hand! This is a science project you can make and remake over and over again.
Solar system craft for kids
Solar System Button Craft from Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational. If you have a stash of buttons you aren’t sure what to do with, this solar system planet project is just what you are looking for. Have your child repeat the planet names over and over again to help them retain the knowledge.
Solar system projects for kids
Felt Solar System from Counting Coconuts. For your crafty students, they will enjoy making their own solar system with just a little bit of sewing. This is a great activity to improve cordination and fine motor skills too.
Solar system activities
Yarn Solar System from Art for Little Hands. This project combines yarn and paper mache to make really cool looking planets to display in your homeschool room.
Solar system Crafts
Even preschoolers can help make these shaggy Yarn Planet balls There is no messy paper mache in this projects. Just wrapping and cutting to create planets you can hang or toss around.
Solar system science project
Solar system for Kids
This chalk planet project is an easy to make project to make today. Plus don’t miss the fun solar system game to help teach kids planet names, planet rotation, and time for the planets to get around the sun.
Kids solar system project
Plastic Lid Solar System from Still Playing School. I love how this project reuses plastic lids you probably have on hand from your weekly garbage.
Solar system science experiments
Lego Solar System from Kitchen Counter Chronicles. Kids love making creations with Lego! This project allows kids to use their creativity and STEM to make their own brick solar system project. Have one child make the entire solar system or work together by having each child make a different planet.
Solar system kids project
Solar System Poster from Crafts n Coffee. Pop over to Joann Fabrics, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby and grab some different shaped foam balls to make this super cute solar system project perfect for a science fair board.
This solar system project combines a planets project with a science activity making the planets fizz! Perfect early science activity for young kids!
Solar system project ideas for 3rd grade
Solar System Mobile from Taming the Goblin. This solar system is not only fun to make, but great for hanging up in your homeschool room to remind your students about the planets.
Hands-on solar system activities
Marble Solar System for Play from I Can Teach My Child. Do you have marbles laying around from a marble run or jacks? You can quickly whip up this creative solar system.
Solar system project for school
Hanger Solar System from Crafts and Coffee. Another creative idea for a hanging solar system for kids you can hang in your childs room.
Project on Solar System
- Earth and Moon Revolving Around the Sun Brad Craft from Easy Preschool Craft
- Measuring the Distance Between the Planets from Beekers and Bumblebees Blog
- Buy Inflatable Planets
Solar System Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun, hands on science activities to teach kids about astronomy or to round out your solar system for kids unit. You will love these hands on solar system activities and lessons:
- The Sun Activities for Kindergarten – learn about the sun and how the planets orbit around it including a fun planets game for kids!
- Moon Activities for Kids & Astronauts Too – make oreo moon phases, DIY telescope, learn about the astronauts who landed on the moon, and more!
- Inner Planets for Kids (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars) – Use our free planet worksheets and fun hands-on activities like Mercury craters, Venus’ melting rocks, layers of the earth, and Erupting Mars Volcano
- Outer Planets for Kids (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune) – combination of hands-on solar system projects and solar system printables; gaseous Jupiter, Saturn Rocket, plus cloudy Uranus and Neptune.
- Pluto, Asteroid Belt, Comets, and Stars for Kids – make a FUN constellation projector, cold Pluto ice cream project, and grape constellation project
- Yarn Solar System Project – fun, unique, and easy solar system model that is cheap and so pretty!
- Paint Stick Solar System Project – easy-to-make solar system model for kids that doubles as an activity for learning the names and order of the planets
- Pipe Cleaner Constellations – fun hands on pipe cleaner constellations activity for kids
- Simple Galaxy Science Experiments
- Looking for more fun, engaging, creative, and memorable moon projects for kids? You will love this 50 Moon Activities for Kids & Crafts collection with the best ideas from the whole internet!
- TONS of really cool Solar System Project Ideas for kids of all ages
Free Solar System Printables
Plus, don’t forget to add these free solar system worksheets and printables to your lesson plan:
- HUGE pack of FREE Solar System Worksheets for elementary age kids
- Planet worksheets for kindergarten with solar system themed math and literacy activities for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students
- Simple Astronaut Coloring Pages
- Space Worksheets Preschool
- Free Constellation Worksheets
- Solar System Coloring Pages to read, learn, and color the solar system
- Printable Free Constellations Printable pdf for children to learn about stars and the patterns they make in the night sky
- Cootie Catcher Constellation Activities for Kids
- Free Constellation Cards
- Moon Phases Kindergarten Worksheets – HUGE pack!
- Planets Solar System for Kids pdf Book for students to learn about all the planets in our solar system
- Moon Phases Printable Mini Book for kids to learn about the phases of the moon
Looking for more fun, engaging, creative, and memorable moon projects for kids? You will love this 50 Moon Crafts & Activities for Kids collection with the best ideas from the whole internet!
Fun Science Experiments
- 30 Simple Machines for Kids Experiments
- Launch this experiment and record your findings with this Coke and mentos experiment worksheet
- Lots of FUN Solar System Project Ideas for kids
- Printable Solar System Worksheets (free) or planet worksheets for kindergarten
- Grab these free printable solar system coloring pages
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable body parts
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments – arranged by type of science
- Free Printable Human Body for Kids Playdough Mats
- Leak proof bag fun science experiments
- Older students can dive deeper with these free skeletal system worksheet pages
- Amazing Why do leaves change color experiment
- Learn about seasons with this cool free 4 seasons printables
- Animals and their Babies matching puzzles
- Take a closer look at animals with this free printable animal report for for kids
Science Exeriments for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- Weather Unit for prek-3rd graders filled with experiments, activities and weather worksheets
- Make it rain and write your observations in these cloud in a jar experiment worksheet
- Learn about our moon with these activities and moon worksheets for 1st grade
- Free Water Cycle Worksheets for kids
- Discover a world of geology with these rock worksheets for kids
- Free printable states of matter activity with clip cards
- Discover what lies below the surface with these free Layers of Earth Worksheets
- Make playdough earth layers with this super cool geology experiment for kids
- LOTS of year-round Science Experiments for Kids
- Kids will love this outrageously fun pipe clean constellations activity
- This look inside a volcano experiment for kids takes learning to a whole new level
- Chromatography Butterflies project for kids
- Learn about the kingdom Animalia with over 20 Zoo Scavenger Hunt free printables
- Harness the power of fruit with this simple Lemon Clock for kids
- Easy Bernoulli’s principle experiment at home
- Amaze kids with this simple burning candle experiment with free worksheets
Easy Science Experiments
- Gross and so cool Digestive System Project for kids of all ages
- Amazing Rainbow in a Jar Experiment for Kids
- Epic Baking Soda and Vinegar Rocket Experiment
- Cool Milk and Vinegar Expeirment making plastic!
- Learn about your amazing brain with this activity and brain worksheets
- How do hands work project for kids
- Super cool and easy-to-make, working lego balloon car
- Plants for kids lesson
- Explore magnets with these EPIC magnet experiments for kids
- Popsicle Stick Catapult for kids – simple STEM project
- Simple light bulb experiment (it actually lights up!)
- Easy-to-make balloon hoovercraft
- Bouncy Eggs and eggs in vinegar experiment worksheet
- Learn about density for kids with these simple balloon solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities
- Create your own super simple bot
- Beautiful, color changing capillary action experiment with flowers
- WOW your kids with how to make a Newton’s cradle project
- Heat-sensitive, Color Changing Slime is SO COOL!
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool ? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets , kindergarten worksheets , 1st grade worksheets , 2nd grade worksheets , 3rd grade worksheets , 4th grade worksheets , 5th grade worksheets , 6th grade worksheets , and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids , printable math games , language arts worksheets , sight word worksheets , free alphabet printables , and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
In addition, don’t miss our disney world planning and kids activities filled with ideas for every holiday and season of the year!
You may also like
Valentines Day Counting Cards Activity for Preschoolers
Philippines For Kids Printable Reader with Facts and...
Beatitudes Sunday School Lesson with Free Printable...
Solve and Stamp Christmas Math Worksheets
FREE Printable Pinkalicious Worksheets for Kids
Fall Sensory Bin
Revolutionary War Road Trip – Part 2
Sensory Spelling Practice with FREE Printables
About the author.
Beth Gorden is the creative multi-tasking creator of 123 Homeschool 4 Me. As a busy homeschooling mother of six, she strives to create hands-on learning activities and worksheets that kids will love to make learning FUN! She has created over 1 million pages of printables to help teach kids ABCs, science, English grammar, history, math, and so much more! Beth is also the creator of 2 additional sites with even more educational activities and FREE printables - www.kindergartenworksheetsandgames.com and www.preschoolplayandlearn.com
Muito lindo seu site, parabéns e obrigado por compartilhar esses materiais. From Brazil
Você é bem vindo!
Wow, thanks for this – it’s amazing!
Leave a Comment X
Looking for Science Project Ideas? You Came to the Right Place! Here You’ll Find the Best 15 Solar System Project Ideas
15 solar system project ideas, 1. hanging mobile.
This is one of the easiest and well-known solar system projects. You only need a few flash cards and string. Start cutting out the planets, color or paint them, and punch a hole in each. Afterwards, you can hang them in the correct position and look at all the planets you created.
2. Solar System Cake
This project may require some careful thought and planning. The objective is to bake a cake that looks like the solar system. You can cook a chocolate cake to represent the dark space. Then, add M&Ms, skittles, and other treats to represent the planets. Make sure that you place the sun in the middle and then create the orbit ring. After you have explained the details of the cake to your students, everyone can enjoy a tasty slice.
3. Playdough Solar System Model
4. snow globe solar system.
When the holidays are approaching, making a snow globe solar system is an excellent idea. The items you will need to do this are a mason jar, water, fishing wire, glue, glitter, paint, and clay. Begin making the planets out of the clay, but make sure you are making them small enough to fit inside the jar. Let the clay harden before painting each the color of the planets. Use the fishing wire to thread through the holes of the planets. Glue the other end of the wire to the bottom of the inside of the jar, so that your planets are hanging inside. Pour some water in the jar and add glitter. Then flip your jar upside down and shake it to watch the magic happen.
5. Felt Model
6. pom-pom solar system, 7. chalk solar system.
Every child enjoys playing with chalk. Therefore, you can bring out the colorful chalk and take your class outside. Use the concrete to draw the solar system. After you have explained each planet, let the students draw their own solar systems while referring back to yours.
8. Fruity Planets
9. solar system poster.
Use a large sheet of paper that can make a poster. Make sure it is black to represent the outer space. Add paint to create the different planets and label them for the students to see. Then, hand out black posters to each student to make their own solar system posters.
10. Shadow Box
11. glow in the dark solar system.
Glow in the dark makes things more exciting! Therefore, my suggestion is to go buy some glow in the dark paint and create a solar system. Draw the planets on a sheet of paper and paint them with the glow in the dark paint. After everything has dried, turn off the lights and watch everyone’s paintings come to life.
12. Edible Solar System
Start by baking cookies in the oven. After they have cooled off, use icing to add color to the cookies. Be sure to use the appropriate icing color to represent the planet colors. You can also create different cookie sizes to form your edible solar system. Afterwards, everyone can eat cookies!
13. Solar System Bottle Caps
14. popsicle sticks solar system.
This project requires glue, scissors, paper, and popsicle sticks. Use various colors of paper to make the planets. After you have cut the planets out, glue them to their own individual popsicle stick. Then, make all the popsicle sticks attach to the sun in the middle. It is a neat project that students will be happy to participate in.
15. Balloon Solar System
For a video showing you five other projects that you can use to teach the solar system to your students, check out A Toy Day’s YouTube video. It is a compilation of several projects that will keep children entertained for long periods of time.
How To Introduce Solar System To Students
After you have gone over each planet, be sure to come up with ways to help students remember each one. You can develop worksheets that have the name of the planet and its color to help. Once you feel that your students comprehend all the planets, I believe you should do several fun projects to help them grasp them even more. Children do not do well with lectures for long periods of time, so integrating hands-on projects will lighten up their mood and create fun in your classroom.
Some Interesting Facts About The Solar System To Tell Students
I hope this article helped you find a few solar system project ideas that you would like to try out in your classroom. The goal is to encourage teachers around the globe to adopt these projects into their classroom as they are great learning tools that will keep your students entertained for hours at a time. Good luck and happy teaching!
Which class can these projects be used for?
I think they can be used for students of all ages. Of course, students will need help from their parents or they can do projects in pairs.
Leave a Comment Cancel reply
Find something memorable, join a community doing good.
Solar system project, set price range.
- Top Customer Reviews
- Highest Price
- Lowest Price
- Most Recent
Solar System Bracelet Universe Galaxy The Eight Planets Guardian Star Healing Natural Gem Stone Bead Bracelets Gift
ad vertisement by Etsy seller
Ad vertisement from Etsy seller
From shop InnovationCo
STEM Solar Car Toys – DIY Wooden Model Kits to Build for Boys and Girls - Educational Science Experiment Projects 3D Puzzles Inventor Kit
From shop BuildYourOwnKits
$ 26.79 Original Price $26.79 (30% off)
Solar System Coloring Activity Banner - Outer Space Theme Jumbo Activity Page with Word Search, 24x72 inches, Birthday Party, Planets
From shop LeesActivityWorkshop
Personalized Solar System Artwork Made Using NASA Data, Custom Planet Print, Custom Star Map, Planets Map, Space Map, Solar System Art
From shop PlanetsInTime
SOLAR SYSTEM -Diorama- DIY Set - Instant Download - Includes Instructions and Free Lesson on Planets in our Solar System
Ad vertisement by LemonSqueezyToys
Planet Fandex SVG and PDF- Solar System SVG for kids - Learning about planets activity for Cricut and printable for hand cutting (svg, pdf)
Ad vertisement by HandsOnSchoolHouse
Solar System Worksheet, Busy Book Pages, Preschool Busy Book, Solar System Download, File Folder Game, Busy Binder, Homeschool Worksheet
Ad vertisement by MattyAndMillie
Solar System Flash Cards - Planets - PDF - DIGITAL - Planet facts - Science - Space Education - Download - Printable Learning Sheets - kids
Ad vertisement by PrettyCoolHomeschool
Solar system, decal. 3 inch planets, earth science, project, home school
Ad vertisement by EverythingECreations
Solar System Model Printable Activity Space Learning Homeschool Montessori Toddler Planets Activities Outer Space Preschool Worksheets
Ad vertisement by RikiTikiArt
$ 4.50 Original Price $4.50 (40% off)
Solar system planets foldout kids' craft | A4 and 11x8.5 inch | Digital Download | Science | Cut and paste
Ad vertisement by WonderAtTheWorldEd
Solar system model, Learning & Education Science Toy, Science project, Planetarium Painting, Space objects, Hanging Solar System
Ad vertisement by ForestKidsShop
Personalized Solar System Artwork Made Using NASA Data, Custom Planet Print, Custom Star Map, Planets Map, Space Map, Solar System. DOWNLOAD
From shop DesignArtByMina
Solar System Poster, Outer Space Decor, Solar System Educational Print, Kids Room Science Art, Planets Poster, Astronomy Gift, Dorm Wall Art
From shop TinyToesDesign
Solar System Poster, Educational Posters, Solar System, Classroom Posters, Solar System Printable, Educational Wall Art, Digital Download
From shop DigitalPyx
$ 7.57 Original Price $7.57 (65% off)
Solar System Print, Solar System Poster, Solar System Illustration, Educational Poster, Kids Bedroom Poster, Children's Room Decor
From shop HarperAndCharlie
QTY 1- Wood Solar System, School Project, Science, Solar System, Sun,Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars,Jupiter, Saturn,Uranus,Neptune, Pluto, Moon
Ad vertisement by ToyingAround
Printable Solar System ID Flash Cards Instant Download - Educational Science Manipulative
Ad vertisement by CuriosityExplored
Solar System Chart Educational Printable, Homeschool Printable, Digital Download Homeschool Resource, Preschool Activity, Learning Planets
Ad vertisement by designedbyaddiee
Wooden Solar System Puzzle for Preschool Education, Large Size Planets Wooden Toy for Kids
Ad vertisement by MervelousWorks
$ 28.00 Original Price $28.00 (15% off)
Build Your Own Solar System Learning Mobile and/or Wall Hanging Laser Cut Digital File | Planet DIY Color Paint Science Project | Glowforge
Ad vertisement by RecycledFarmhouse
Styrofoam Smoothfoam Solar System kit (PAINTED)
Ad vertisement by SmoothfoamMan
Solar System Mobile Kit Printable pdf Homeschool Curriculum
Ad vertisement by HappyHiveHomeschool
Styrofoam Solar System Kit
Ad vertisement by Craftqwerkz
The Stars by H.A. Rey
From shop WitchWaresCreation
Lower and Upper Grade Solar System Research Unit (Print Version)
From shop WifeTeacherMommy
Solar System T-Shirt, Planets And Moons In The Solar System Tee, Astronomy Shirt, Outer Space Shirt, Aesthetic Solar System
From shop Pinehart
$ 21.21 Original Price $21.21 (20% off)
Solar system with planets model Space nursery Baby boy gift Montessori toys Nesting Dolls Wooden rocket and astronaut Astronomy gift
From shop EdutainmentToys
$ 125.00 Original Price $125.00 (50% off)
Solar System Printable Busy Book, Science Worksheets, Busy Book, Preschool and Kindergarten Learning, Homeschool Learning, STEM Worksheet
Ad vertisement by HudsonAcademy
Printable set of 10 solar system cards, Planets cards, Space cards, Galaxy flash cards, Educational Cards, Montessori cards
Ad vertisement by BilyanaDesigns
Jupiter - Educational Toy for Kids and Toddlers 3D Mapped and High Quality Printed Stuffed Ball
Ad vertisement by GargoyleJewelry
Printable solar system felt board DIY planets busy board Preschool astronomy Learning planets Space busy binder Kindergarten printables
Ad vertisement by SleepySlothLullaby
Solar System Printable Worksheet Matching Busy Binder Pages Homeschool Resource PDF Kids Preschool File Folder Game Download
Ad vertisement by BloomhousePress
Solar System Wooden Mobile Kit
Ad vertisement by LeadTin
Solar System Model | Planets Printable | Solar System Printable Preschool curriculum | Montessori Printable | Homeschool Preschool Learning
Ad vertisement by MrMintzCrafts
$ 3.25 Original Price $3.25 (10% off)
Watercolor Solar System Poster, Space Nursery Print, Outer space art, Planets printable for Kids, Educational art, Gift for kids, Montessori
Ad vertisement by PintikStudio
Solar System Wall Decor | Planets Metal Sign | Wall Art for Space Lover | Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune
From shop 33squareDesign
SOLAR SYSTEM (Giclée Fine Art Prints & Rolled Canvas) Simple Map of the Planets (8x10 12x16 16x20 18x24 24x32 A1 A2 A3 A4) Unframed
From shop JazzberryBlue
Solar System Decor, Planets Print, Space Wall Decor, Universe Print, Solar System Artwork, Sun And Planets, Huge Wall Decor, Nursery Decor
From shop HukaInterior
$ 82.90 Original Price $82.90 (25% off)
Solar System Metal Wall Art,Solar System Metal Wall Decor,Planets And Stars Wall Art, Metal Wall Decor, Housewarming Gift, Home Decor,Gift
From shop UNIQUEDECORDESIGNART
$ 87.85 Original Price $87.85 (30% off)
Wooden Solar System w Space Board
Ad vertisement by BuildnKnock
SOLAR SYSTEM Planets Project Bundle | Earth Science Printables | Homeschool Curriculum | Coloring Pages Posters Activities Worksheets
Ad vertisement by ElleMadisonEducation
Solar System Printable Set (9 PNG files + BONUS 9 digital scrap paper sheets), Universe Art, Planets Home Decor, T-Shirt Universe Print
Ad vertisement by ArtWitchDesign
Solar system scale model 3d print STL file
Ad vertisement by Ricoswoodwork
Saturn / Saturn Blank DXF / Saturn Digital Download / Science Project / kids projects / Solar System Blank / Digital Solar System / Planets
Ad vertisement by DigitalFileCreative
Larger Set Wooden Solar System Set Hand Painted Montessori Preschool educational
Ad vertisement by SimplyMontessoriShop
Solar System Printable Worksheet | Montessori Resources | Educational | Planets Flashcards | Space Activity
Ad vertisement by HomeLearningStudio
Solar System Ornament, #50, Planet Ornament, Solar System Christmas Tree Ornament, Solar System Dangle, Solar System Charm
Ad vertisement by HambonesCreations
$ 10.00 Original Price $10.00 (15% off)
Solar System Wall Art, Planets And Space Wall Decor, Huge Canvas Wall Art, Kids Room Decor, Space Science Canvas Art, Planets Nursery Art
From shop MscStudioCo
$ 75.00 Original Price $75.00 (25% off)
Personalized Solar System Art, Planet Print, Planet Poster, Space, Solar System Art, Kids Wall Print, Digital Custom Map By Date
From shop RogueDesignsUS
Educational kids, Space Art for Kids, Cartoon solar system, Solar system wall art, Solar system decor, Nursery wall art, Colorful planet art
From shop ArtDistrictUA
$ 79.00 Original Price $79.00 (20% off)
Solar System Shirt, Womens Solar System T Shirt, Girls Solar System Tshirt, Astronomy Lover Gifts, Outer Space Tee, Cute Astronomer T-Shirt
From shop YodaCloudCo
$ 21.29 Original Price $21.29 (30% off)
Personalised Solar System Craft Kit
Ad vertisement by CottonTwistLtd
Space suncatcher kit - Outer space homeschool curriculum - arts and crafts for kids - solar system project - kids craft kit - gift for boys
Ad vertisement by PunchOfColor
Solar System Fact Cards, Planets Printable, Homeschool solar system unit, Planet Flashcards, Science Worksheets, Planet Information Cards
Ad vertisement by MrandMrsGsDesigns
$ 4.60 Original Price $4.60 (20% off)
Vintage Crochet Pattern Solar System Planets Wall Hanging PDF Instant Digital Download Outer Space Science Decor 4 Ply
Ad vertisement by PastPatternPaloozaCo
Montessori Wooden Puzzle with Planets of the Solar System-Outer Space Wooden Matching Memory Game-Three Dimensional Sun,Earth MarsAndJupiter
Ad vertisement by MeadowLoveCraft
Larger Solar system planet mobile, Hanging Sun and planets model, Outer space nursery decor, Solar system in motion
Ad vertisement by JupiterExiles
Solar System Fact Foldables/ Interactive notebook/ Planet facts/ classroom resource/ science project template/ early childhood/ digital
Ad vertisement by creativemamafox
Ad vertisement by LaMarrDesignCo
Shipping policies vary, but many of our sellers offer free shipping when you purchase from them. Typically, orders of $35 USD or more (within the same shop) qualify for free standard shipping from participating Etsy sellers.
Found something you love but want to make it even more uniquely you? Good news! Many sellers on Etsy offer personalized, made-to-order items.
To personalize an item:
- Open the listing page.
- Choose the options you’d like for the order. This will differ depending on what options are available for the item.
- Under “Add your personalization,” the text box will tell you what the seller needs to know. Fill out the requested information.
- Click “Buy it now” or “Add to cart” and proceed to checkout.
Don’t see this option? The seller might still be able to personalize your item. Try contacting them via Messages to find out!
Absolutely! Our global marketplace is a vibrant community of real people connecting over special goods. With powerful tools and services, along with expert support and education, we help creative entrepreneurs start, manage, and scale their businesses. In 2020 alone, purchases on Etsy generated nearly $4 billion in income for small businesses. We also created 2.6 million jobs in the U.S.—enough to employ the entire city of Houston, TX!
From handmade pieces to vintage treasures ready to be loved again, Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. It’s also home to a whole host of one-of-a-kind items made with love and extraordinary care. While many of the items on Etsy are handmade, you’ll also find craft supplies, digital items, and more.
- basic site functions
- ensuring secure, safe transactions
- secure account login
- remembering account, browser, and regional preferences
- remembering privacy and security settings
- analysing site traffic and usage
- personalized search, content, and recommendations
- helping sellers understand their audience
- showing relevant, targeted ads on and off Etsy
Required Cookies & Technologies
Some of the technologies we use are necessary for critical functions like security and site integrity, account authentication, security and privacy preferences, internal site usage and maintenance data, and to make the site work correctly for browsing and transactions.
To enable personalized advertising (like interest-based ads), we may share your data with our marketing and advertising partners using cookies and other technologies. Those partners may have their own information they’ve collected about you. Turning off the personalized advertising setting won’t stop you from seeing Etsy ads or impact Etsy's own personalization technologies, but it may make the ads you see less relevant or more repetitive.
- EXPLORE Coupons Tech Help Pro Random Article About Us Quizzes Contribute Train Your Brain Game Improve Your English Popular Categories Arts and Entertainment Artwork Books Movies Computers and Electronics Computers Phone Skills Technology Hacks Health Men's Health Mental Health Women's Health Relationships Dating Love Relationship Issues Hobbies and Crafts Crafts Drawing Games Education & Communication Communication Skills Personal Development Studying Personal Care and Style Fashion Hair Care Personal Hygiene Youth Personal Care School Stuff Dating All Categories Arts and Entertainment Finance and Business Home and Garden Relationship Quizzes Cars & Other Vehicles Food and Entertaining Personal Care and Style Sports and Fitness Computers and Electronics Health Pets and Animals Travel Education & Communication Hobbies and Crafts Philosophy and Religion Work World Family Life Holidays and Traditions Relationships Youth
- HELP US Support wikiHow Community Dashboard Write an Article Request a New Article More Ideas...
- EDIT Edit this Article
- PRO Courses New Tech Help Pro New Expert Videos About wikiHow Pro Coupons Quizzes Upgrade Sign In
- Browse Articles
- Quizzes New
- Train Your Brain New
- Improve Your English New
- Support wikiHow
- About wikiHow
- Easy Ways to Help
- Approve Questions
- Fix Spelling
- More Things to Try...
- H&M Coupons
- Hotwire Promo Codes
- StubHub Discount Codes
- Ashley Furniture Coupons
- Blue Nile Promo Codes
- NordVPN Coupons
- Samsung Promo Codes
- Chewy Promo Codes
- Ulta Coupons
- Vistaprint Promo Codes
- Shutterfly Promo Codes
- DoorDash Promo Codes
- Office Depot Coupons
- adidas Promo Codes
- Home Depot Coupons
- DSW Coupons
- Bed Bath and Beyond Coupons
- Lowe's Coupons
- Surfshark Coupons
- Nordstrom Coupons
- Walmart Promo Codes
- Dick's Sporting Goods Coupons
- Fanatics Coupons
- Edible Arrangements Coupons
- eBay Coupons
- Log in / Sign up
- Hobbies and Crafts
How to Make a Solar System Model
Last Updated: March 2, 2023 References Tested
wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 11 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. There are 9 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. The wikiHow Video Team also followed the article's instructions and verified that they work. This article has been viewed 220,150 times. Learn more...
There are eight known planets orbiting our sun, including Earth. Making a model is a fun introduction to this solar system, and a good art project for primary school science classes. This detailed example can take a few hours to make, but most of that involves waiting for paint or clay to dry.
Making the Sun and Gas Giants
- For a more even background, trace the box onto black paper. Cut out the paper rectangle and tape it to the base of the box.
- One large ball to make the sun (maximum 4" / 10 cm across)
- Two medium balls to make Jupiter and Saturn (maximum 3" / 7.5 cm)
- Two small balls to make Uranus and Neptune (maximum 2" / 5 cm)
- If you're not sure whether a paint works on polystyrene, check the label for brush cleaning instructions. If you can wash off the paint with water, the paint is water-based and safe to use. If you need to use a solvent like white spirit or turpentine, the paint is solvent-based and may dissolve polystyrene.  X Research source
- A stenciling brush or other short-bristled brush will help you get the paint to stick into the nooks and crannies on your polystyrene ball. You might need to let the first coat dry and use a larger brush to paint over it for an even color.
- If the paint doesn't stick at all, cover the ball with a thin layer of spackle, let it dry, and paint over that.  X Research source
- Jupiter's clouds form bands and spiral storms. Paint this planet with red, orange, and white paint, swirled into patterns.
- Saturn is pale yellow (a mix of yellow and white paint).
- Paint Uranus a pale blue, made by mixing blue and white paint together. White clouds sometimes form over the solid blue atmosphere.  X Research source
- Neptune is almost the same color as Uranus, but looks darker because it's farther away and receives less light.  X Research source Paint it blue.
- Poke the hole through Saturn at an angle, so the rings will be tilted when the planet is hanging down. This will look better and give you a little extra room to arrange the planets.
- To cut out the ring, start by cutting out the larger circle. Fold the circle gently in half without creasing it, then cut around the smaller circle.
Making the Rocky Planets
- Mercury is a brownish gray rock, with no cloud cover.  X Research source You can make it out of red or gold clay instead for a prettier model.
- Make Earth out of blue clay for now.
- Make Venus out of pale yellow clay.
- Pluto is technically not a planet (it's too small), but it can sneak in anyway. Make it out of light brown clay, maybe with some charcoal mixed in to imitate its blotchy surface.
- For light colored clay, it's a good idea to set your oven about 10ºF (~5ºC) lower than the instructions recommend. This can take twice as long to bake, but the chance of breaking is lower.
Assembling the Model
- Each length of beading thread should be long enough to hang a planet from the "ceiling" of the box, when the box is on its side. Five or six inches (13–15 cm) should be enough.
Video . By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube.
Things You'll Need
- Men's shoe box or larger cardboard box
- Black construction paper
- Gold construction paper
- Acrylic paint in various colors
- White paint pen (optional)
- Clear beading wire
- Hot glue gun
- Bamboo skewers
- Polymer clay
- Large needle
- Polystyrene balls in three sizes
- Several tall jugs or one polystyrene block
- Sticky tape
- Two drinking glasses, one slightly larger than the other
- This model isn't trying to accurately show the size differences between planets. That's hard to do in a shoe box, since over a million Earths could fit inside the sun!  X Research source If you find it easier, feel free to make all the planets out of one material (polystyrene or clay), even if you only have two or three different sizes. ⧼thumbs_response⧽ Helpful 4 Not Helpful 3
You Might Also Like
- ↑ http://www.paintquality.com/en/understanding-paint/water-based-vs-solvent-based
- ↑ https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-paint-to-use-on-styrofoam
- ↑ http://space-facts.com/gas-giants/
- ↑ http://www8.nationalacademies.org/ssbsurvey/DetailFileDisplay.aspx?id=252&parm_type=PSDS
- ↑ http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2004/11111200-uranus-no-longer-boring.html
- ↑ http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/58-our-solar-system/planets-and-dwarf-planets/planet-watching/249-what-color-is-each-planet-intermediate
- ↑ http://www.beadsandbeading.com/blog/acrylic-craft-paints-polymer-clay/3947/
- ↑ http://www.universetoday.com/65356/how-many-earths-can-fit-in-the-sun/
- Adapted from http://blog.hobbycraft.co.uk/how-to-make-a-model-solar-system/ except where noted.
About This Article
To make a solar system model, start by finding a large cardboard box and painting it black to represent space. Next, gather 5 polystyrene balls in various sizes to represent gas giants like the sun, Jupiter, and Neptune. Paint the largest ball yellow, then paint the remaining planets. Shape 5 rocky planets out of colored modeling clay and let the clay dry. Lastly, paint white dots on the black cardboard to represent stars and use thread and hot glue to suspend the planets in the box. Don't forget to put everything in the correct order! For tips on choosing accurate paint and clay colors, read on! Did this summary help you? Yes No
- Send fan mail to authors
Reader Success Stories
Dec 15, 2021
Did this article help you?
Jun 29, 2021
Mar 30, 2017
Sep 18, 2018
Sep 28, 2020
- Do Not Sell or Share My Info
- Not Selling Info
wikiHow Tech Help Pro:
Develop the tech skills you need for work and life
- Arts & Music
- English Language Arts
- World Language
- Social Studies - History
- Holidays / Seasonal
- Independent Work Packet
- Easel by TPT
- Google Apps
Interactive resources you can assign in your digital classroom from TPT.
Unlock access to 4 million resources — at no cost to you — with a school-funded subscription..
solar system project
Resource types, all resource types, results for solar system project.
- Price (Ascending)
- Most Recent
Solar System Project - Rubric and Project Details (EDITABLE)
Solar System Project: Research a Planet & Convince Others to Move There
Also included in: Solar System Bundle: Projects, Word Search & Writing [6 Resources at 40% Off]
Planet/Solar System Project
Solar System and Planets Unit Bundle with Solar System Project Posters
Also included in: Science Unit Bundle with Plants, Weather, Light, Sound, Ecosystems, Human Body
Solar System and Planets Project : Fun and Creative Science Project
Also included in: All About Space BUNDLE: Space Unit, Solar System Craftivity, All About the Stars
Solar System Research Pennant Project
Also included in: Pennant Activity Bundle with Animal Report Biography Report and MORE!
Planets of the Solar System - Research Project with Rubric
Solar System Project: 3-D Model of the Planets with Glossary & Summary
Scale Properties of Objects in Solar System Activity Project TO SCALE POSTER
Also included in: Space and Astronomy Activity BUNDLE NGSS MS-ESS1
Create Your Own Planet Solar System Project Based Learning Persuasive Writing
Also included in: Persuasive Writing Task Design Create a Planet, Zoo Project Based Learning PBL
Solar System Planet Research Project Digital | For GOOGLE Slides
Also included in: Digital Research Projects Bundle | Animal Research | Biography Report | Planets
Space craft- solar system mobile
Planet Research Project - Solar System and Planets Activities
- Easel Activity
Also included in: Science Research Reports - Planet Project, Ocean and Rainforest Animals
Solar System Project
Solar System Art Project
Solar System Research Project
Also included in: Solar System BUNDLE | Planets, Stars, Moon Phases | Print & Digital
Solar System Planets Project
Also included in: Planets and Solar System Unit
Solar System Craft
Solar System Research Project with 8 different Graphic Organizers-- DIGITAL!
Also included in: Astronomy Resources Bundle: Nonfiction, Activities, Research, Critical Thinking
Solar System Game Board Project
Planets Brochure Project Activity
Also included in: Solar System Unit Bundle
Planets Guided Research Project, Solar System
Also included in: Guided Research Project BUNDLE
Solar System Planet Research Collaborative Posters
TPT empowers educators to teach at their best.
- We're Hiring
- Help & FAQ
- Terms of Service
- Trademark & Copyright
Keep in Touch!
Are you getting the free resources, updates, and special offers we send out every week in our teacher newsletter?
The solar system includes all celestial bodies that are pulled in by the Sun’s gravitational force, including the eight planets, dwarf planets, comets, asteroids, meteors, meteorites, moons, the Kuiper belt and the Oort cloud. Various gases...
The solar system is made up of the sun and all the planets, dwarf planets, moons, asteroids, meteoroids, comets, ice, rocks, artificial satellites and space-faring vessels. Living beings are also in the solar system, although they are only ...
The planetary system, containing Earth, is officially named the “Solar System,” which consists of the Sun and its orbiting objects. PlanetsOfTheSolarSystem.net explains that the Sun does not have a scientific name, but is alternately called...
Solar System Crafts. Solar. Science Projects. Space Crafts · Kid Science, Homeschool Science, Science Fair, Science Activities, Activities For Kids,.
Solar System Model Project, Solar Projects, Projects To Try, Science Art
1. Edible Science Craft · 2. Solar System Sensory Fun Activities · 3. Edible Solar System · 4. Playdough Planets · 5. Foldable Planets - Solar
How to make 3D Solar System model easy. Solar System project making step by step.school project 3d solar system model making very easy.
Project on Solar System · Earth and Moon Revolving Around the Sun Brad Craft from Easy Preschool Craft · Measuring the Distance Between the
Solar System Cake→; Playdough Solar System Model →; Snow Globe Solar System →; Felt Model →; Pom-Pom Solar System →; Chalk Solar System →
Build Your Own Solar System Learning Mobile and/or Wall Hanging Laser Cut Digital File | Planet DIY Color Paint Science Project |
Solar System Model · 1. Paint the display · 2. Sort the foam balls · 3. Paint the planets · 4. Cut the Asteroid belt and planetary rings · 5. Glue up everything · 6.
Making a model is a fun introduction to this solar system, and a good art project for primary school science classes. This detailed example can take a few
Our Solar System captivates the attention and awe of our students like few other topics in science. This MASSIVE BUNDLED Solar System
There are no limits to the project; you can use anything you like (reasonably)!. This will be counted as part of your solar system assessment grade, so make