An official website of the United States government
Here’s how you know
Official websites use .gov A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.
Secure .gov websites use HTTPS A lock ( Lock A locked padlock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.
Advancing the state-of-the-art in IT in such applications as cyber security and biometrics, NIST accelerates the development and deployment of systems that are reliable, usable, interoperable, and secure; advances measurement science through innovations in mathematics, statistics, and computer science; and conducts research to develop the measurements and standards infrastructure for emerging information technologies and applications.
Information technology topics.
- Artificial intelligence
- Cloud computing & virtualization
- Complex systems
- Computational science
- Conformance testing
- Cyberphysical systems
- Data & informatics
- Federal information processing standards (FIPS)
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Interoperability testing
- Software research
- Usability & human factors
- Video analytics
- Virtual / augmented reality
- Visualization research
- Voting systems
Projects & programs, face recognition vendor test (frvt), health it at nist - program overview.
NIST Cloud Computing Program - NCCP
Additional resources links.
NIST Seeks Comments on AI Risk Management Framework Guidance, Workshop Date Set
Hundreds sign up for the upcoming NIST Innovative Technologies Showcase 2
NIST’s National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence Renews Partnerships With State, County
Immersive Test Center brings first responders advanced training, opportunities to overcome challenges
Stay in touch.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date with the latest research, trends, and news for Information Technology.
2023 iris experts group (ieg) meeting, 5x5: the public safety innovation summit.
10 Most Interesting Technology Research Topics
Share this Article
BestColleges.com is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
- Research topics guide a student's studies within a broader academic field.
- To create a successful research paper, identify a research topic and research question.
- Some relevant technology research topics include online education, medical technology, and digital voting.
A research topic is an idea a researcher has when preparing to conduct an experiment. A research project is the testing of this topic and is often used for academic or professional purposes. These can help you start down a new career path or uncover the deep secrets of the universe!
Research topics complement what you learn in the classroom. These assignments allow students to explore their individual passions within the realm of the course subject. Research papers require organization, thoughtful discussion of complex ideas, and effective written communication. Even if you've never been formally asked to write a research paper , you might be required to present your work to a professor or employer.
If you crave conducting experiments or exploring unknown realms of tech, then you may have considered conducting a research project. This article gives an overview of how to structure a research topic, and we found ten unique inspirations for tech-related topics.
What Is a Research Topic Used For?
Research topics allow scholars and students to expand their studies. From history to math to art, there is more knowledge in any field of study than one person can possibly learn. Research topics allow you to hone in on one aspect of your subject.
Students in any academic discipline may use research topics. The final product format may vary depending on the subject of study. For example, a biology paper and an English literature paper take different forms based on the conventions of each academic discipline.
By the end of high school, most students have written a research paper and used a research topic. Research papers will be required at some point for college or university students, regardless of their major.
Most often, academia utilizes research topics and questions. Unless you move into a research or academic-based field, it's unlikely you will write a formal research paper at work that includes a research topic and question.
Research Topic vs. Research Question
A research topic is a general category or idea you want to investigate. Research questions are the specific area where you focus your research and writing.
If you study 20th-century history, your research topic might be women's roles during World War II. This topic is broad and covers many experiences. Your research question could be, what role did women play during resistance efforts in occupied France?
The answer to your research question will become your thesis statement, which is typically included at the end of your introductory paragraph. For example: Within the French Resistance movement, women worked in a variety of critical roles, including espionage, forgery, and munitions.
Tips for Researching
Before you commit to a research question, it's a good idea to do some light research. This ensures there is enough information accessible for you to complete your research paper.
When researching any topic, use reputable sources . The Google Scholar search engine utilizes academic and scholarly resources exclusively. Additionally, research librarians assist students and scholars in finding sources at libraries around the world. Lastly, create an outline for your paper. As you gather information, make sure to group the related facts together.
10 Interesting Technology Research Topics
If you are fascinated by technology and want to research a new, unique side of tech, then look no further. We have compiled a list of ten interesting technology research topics for you!
1. COVID-19's Effect on Medical Technology
History shows us that challenges often precede innovation; the COVID-19 pandemic is no different. Medical researchers and scholars may have used the pandemic to direct and advance new technologies.
For example, the Internet of Medical Things (IoMT) may emerge as a new focus for medical technology. This may allow for better remote medical monitoring and treatment.
Some questions to consider when researching medical tech developments after the start of COVID-19 include, who researches IoMT technology? What are the possible applications? What stage of development is this research in?
2. Online Education's Effect on Learning
The COVID-19 pandemic demonstrated how online learning could be very difficult for students, parents, and teachers. However, there are benefits to online learning. It stands to increase access to education, accommodate varied needs, and more.
In researching online education's effects on learning, consider when online education started and how far it has come since then. What technology has come out of online education? Will online education remain relevant in the next decade? Hint: Most likely.
3. Video Gaming as a Solution to World Problems
When discussing video games, most news coverage highlights only the negative side effects of gaming, such as increased depression, aggression, and addiction.
However, positive outcomes from gaming do exist, including increased reasoning, collaboration, and multicultural communities. Presumably, all these benefits could contribute positively to social problem-solving.
Questions to consider for this topic include: Can video games provide simulations for world problems? Is there a direct connection between gaming and social awareness or community?
4. Children's Use of Technology and Social Media
Research could take this topic in a number of interesting directions. Common topics include screen time, access to inappropriate information on the internet, and device addiction or dependency.
More interesting angles for research might include cultural differences regarding children and technology use or what technology use prepares children best for STEM careers.
Some questions to consider during your research might include: What does medical/scientific research show us regarding children and technology? Why do the effects of tech and social media on children matter?
5. The Pros and Cons of Human Cloning
Cloning seeks to replicate the DNA and function of living beings, including plants, animals, and humans. Currently, no lab has successfully cloned human DNA, despite some claims.
Human cloning has implications we cannot know at this time. Concerns regarding human cloning may parallel those associated with animal cloning, such as decreased life span, increased biological abnormalities, and inefficient production.
When researching human cloning, you may consider the following questions: Why do scientists continue to research human cloning? Which labs or countries are working on human cloning?
6. The Implications of Human Identity Chips
Identity chips can function similarly to a smartphone wallet — they can be used to hold memberships, credit cards, and even health records. However, the ethical implications of this technology embedded in the human body concern many researchers and consumers.
To research this effectively, you'd want to discover how and where identity chips are currently used in humans. Also consider: What laws or regulations exist? What are the ethical concerns?
7. Technology's Effect on Fertility
Still a relatively new field, in vitro fertilization (IVF) continues to benefit from advances in technology. Advances in hardware and microtechnology allow fertility doctors to improve the accuracy of certain procedures. Additionally, new AI software has been released that can more actively predict the health and success of frozen eggs and embryos.
Questions researchers might consider include: How accessible are these IVF technologies? Are there other possibilities for AI or micro technologies related to IVF?
8. The Morality of Genetic Engineering
Genetic engineering is a highly controversial topic, particularly regarding human genetic engineering. Even genetic modification of crops has strong proponents and harsh critics. While research continues around human genetic engineering, it is not used outside research labs, nor is it legal to do so in most of the world.
Questions to explore this topic might include: What research on genetic modification is ongoing? What are the proven risks and benefits?
9. Digital Voting Risks and Rewards
As with many digital advances, digital voting increases accessibility but provides security concerns. Making online purchases with a credit card was once viewed as a security risk; now, we don't even think twice about it.
With necessary elections taking place around the world during the COVID-19 pandemic, digital voting may be under consideration again. The security of votes and the recordkeeping processes are vital to the success of digital voting. Alternatively, increased accessibility and participation may occur with digital voting.
10. Genetically Modified Food As a Solution to World Hunger
As discussed earlier, genetically modified (GM) food can be a controversial topic. Using GM crops to reduce world hunger represents a huge benefit to this research. According to the UN, 90% of GM crop farmers live in the developing world.
To deepen an understanding of GM crops, ask yourself: How much data exists? What are the farmers saying? Do GM crops impact ecosystems or the long-term health of the environment? What is the newest research?
Frequently Asked Questions About Technology Research Topics
What style guide is accepted for research topic papers.
We recommend starting with The Modern Language Association (MLA) format or the American Psychology Association (APA) format. If your instructor specifies a different style guide, follow their instructions.
A style guide is the standard format for title pages, page numbering, and research citations. Different academic fields use different style guides for their research papers. Most university libraries feature reputable instructions and style guide tutorials. However, be careful with citation generators, as they are not always accurate.
How do I create a title for my research topic?
A good research title is specific and brief, no longer than 15 words. It conveys the central information of the research paper that follows. Of course, a title requires proper grammar and punctuation. In the title, all words between the first and last word of the title are capitalized except articles (such as in, a, the, etc.).
Academic paper titles rarely include an exclamation point. However, sometimes question marks are appropriate. Questions in titles are often included in subtitles.
Creating your research paper's title is best done at the end of your first draft. You want a full picture and understanding of your research to properly title the paper.
What are the current trending technologies?
Now an integral part of our society, innovations in computer technology evolve quickly. Some trends include datafication, increased computing power, genomics, and artificial intelligence (AI).
For any organization today, data is a vital asset. Data underscores trends and policies across industries. Of course, with the increased use of computers, their abilities need to increase. Developers seek to create faster networks and bigger storage options for digital work.
Technology trends like genomics and AI research focus on exploring new possibilities. Scientists working in genomics look to modify plant, animal, and potentially human DNA. While most people associate AI with robots, the voice-powered devices in your smart home are a more realistic example of AI trends. Researchers continue to refine and develop language and visual recognition of computers.
Explore More Bootcamps Resources
10 best online websites and resources for academic research.
How to Write a Research Paper: 11-Step Guide
Starting a Career in Artificial Intelligence
Find the best tips and advice to improve your writing. Or, have a top expert write your paper.
130 Information Technology Research Topics And Quick Writing Prompts
The field of information technology is one of the most recent developments of the 21st century. Scholars argue that we are living in a technological age. Despite this buzz, however, many students still find it challenging to compose an information technology research topic.
Nonetheless, we are here to show you the way and lead you accordingly. Let us explore professional topics in information technology together then.
Quality Information Technology Topics For Research Paper
- The effects of Artificial Intelligence on complex and tedious tasks
- Discuss the development of computational & synthetic biology in research
- What are the limitations to the study of computer architecture in colleges?
- Discuss the evolution of animation, computer graphics, and game science
- Critically analyze how computing is contributing to the development
- What are the emerging fields of study in computer data science?
- How to manage data in the age of the 5G technology
- The impact of human-computer interaction on innovations
- How is machine learning exposing students to more recent opportunities in life?
- Evaluate molecular information systems and their role in biotechnology
- How information technology has contributed to natural language processing
- What are the latest developments in programming languages and software engineering
- Analyze emerging opportunities in the field of Robotics
College Research Paper Topics in Information Technology
- The rising security and privacy concerns with technological advancements
- What are the considerations when setting up systems and networking?
- Discuss the theory of computation and its contribution to information technology
- Why is ubiquitous computing attracting fewer students?
- The role of wireless and sensor systems in making the world a safe place
- Reasons, why cloud computing has helped save on space and efficiency
- Why are most computer students comprised of the male?
- Discuss the essence of amorphous computing in the 21st century
- How has biomedical mining impacted the health sector?
- Can cyborgs relate well with the man?
- How neural networking is making brain surgery a swift process
- The role of swarm intelligence in collaboration and brainstorming
- How are companies maximizing the use of Big Data?
List of Topics For Research Paper in Information Technology
- Discuss how the Internet of Things is transforming how people conduct their activities
- Challenges to software-defined networking
- How are marketers and promoters taking up software as a service?
- The role of augmented reality and virtual reality in healthcare systems
- How intelligent apps are making life easier for man
- The role of information technology in detecting fake news and malicious viral content
- Long term effects of a technologically oriented world
- Technological advancements that made it possible for the SpaceX shuttle to land on the International Space Station
- How technology is making learning more practical and student-centered
- What role has technology played in the spread of world pandemics?
- How are governments able to shut down the Internet for their countries during particular events?
- Does social media make the world a global village or a divided universe?
- Discuss the implications of technological globalization
Unique Information Technology Research Topics
- Discuss the areas of life which have been least exploited using technology
- What are the considerations for setting up an educational curriculum on computer technology?
- Compare and contrast between different computer processing powers
- Why is Random Access Memory so crucial to the functioning of a computer?
- Should computer as a subject be mandatory for all students in college?
- How information technology has helped keep the world together during the quarantine period
- Discuss why most hackers manage to break firewalls of banks
- Are automated teller machine cards a safe way of keeping your bank details?
- Why should every institution incorporate automated systems in its functions?
- Who is more intelligent than the other? Man or Computer systems?
- How is NASA implementing the use of Information technology to explore space?
- The impact of automated message replies on smartphones.
- Do mobile phones contain radiations that cause cancer?
IT Research Topics For High School Students
- How does natural language processing compare with machine learning?
- What is the role of virtual reality in the entertainment industry?
- Discuss the application of computer vision technology in autonomous cars
- How have CCTVs assisted in keeping the world safe?
- Effects of phishing and spying on relationships
- Why cyber espionage is on the rise in the face of the 5G technology
- Compare and contrast between content-based recommendation vs. collaborative filtering
- Evaluate the interconnection between the Internet of things and artificial intelligence
- Analyze the amount of data generated from the Internet of things in devices
- Ethical and legal implications of various technological practices
- How technology has contributed to the formation of Genetically Modified Organisms
- Describe in detail the vaccine development process
- Why nanotechnology may be the only hope left in treating HIV
Hot Topics in IT
- How companies can incorporate information technologies in their policy management systems
- The role of IT in enhancing service delivery in customer care centers
- How IT has made advertising more appealing and authentic to the consumer
- Discuss the innovation of the Next Generation education systems
- Why are there fewer Information Technology colleges and universities in developing countries?
- Discuss WIFI connectivity in developed countries
- What are the considerations when purchasing a Bandwidth Monitor?
- How to create an effective Clinic Management System for intensive care
- Factors that necessitate the development of an Enterprise Level System Information Management
- Is it possible to develop fully functional Intelligent Car Transportation Systems?
- Why the world should adopt E-Waste Management systems ASAP
- Discuss the impact of weather and climate on internet strength and connectivity
- The role of advanced information technologies preserving classified documents
Interesting Information Technology Topics
- Human resource information management systems in large organizations
- Evaluate the effectiveness of online enterprise resource planning
- A critical analysis of object tracking using radial function networks
- How has Bluetooth mobile phone technology developed over time?
- Ethical challenges arising from new media information technologies
- How the computer has developed over the last decade
- The role of social media in enhancing communication strategies
- Why new media technologies have made physical newspapers obsolete
- The impact of the Internet of news sourcing, production, distribution, and sharing
- Discuss the structures of various communication structures
- How social media is making ads easily accessible
- The impact of social networking sites on personal contact
- Discuss the latest content marketing ideas in the wake of information technology
Topics Related To Information Technology
- The impact of media exposure to adolescents and teenagers
- How mass media is slowly but surely taking over the place of personal socialization
- How to use the Internet and interactive media as advertising tools
- Discuss the trends in music marketing in a digital world
- The use of hype in new media technologies
- The impact of using YouTube and video blogs in communication messages
- Discuss the challenges that are arising as a result of new media technologies
- How to build trustful relationships in virtual communication channels
- Why it is impossible to maintain privacy in social media
- Reasons why cyberbullying continues to persist in various communication technologies
- The change in interpersonal communication with the invention of information technology
- Is the future of information technologies right?
- Discuss how sensationalism is persisting in the wake of new media technologies
Research Proposal Topics in Information Technology
- Is it possible to live in a world without social media?
- The impact of mass media on morality and decency in the 21st century
- Advantages and disadvantages of renewable energy sources
- How effective is hydrogen power over others?
- An overview of renewable energy technologies
- The impact of robots in improving food safety
- How are drones useful in keeping large acres of land secure?
- The impact of 3D printing on the practice of medicine
- The effectiveness of having robots in infectious disease units
- The impact of hydroponic farming
- How to improve disease control using technology
- Eliminating poisonous substances in food using technology
- The effectiveness of robotic surgeries
Hot Topics in Computer Science
- Distinguish between virtual reality and human perception
- How are the inventions in the field of computer science transforming the world
- Evaluate the effectiveness of high-dimensional data modeling
- Limitations to the field of computer science
- Are colleges and universities producing competent computer scientists?
- How ethical hacking has turned out to be worse
- The essence of having specialized banking systems
- What is the most effective security measure: A serial code or fingerprint?
- The development of programming languages
- The effect of computational thinking on science
- Is it possible to eliminate stalking?
- Ways of improving patent rights for technological innovations
- An overview of the different types of software security
Did you find an IT topic for your assignment? If not, our expert thesis writers are here for you. Order a research paper from us today and get to enjoy professional services.
Make PhD experience your own
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
As Putin continues killing civilians, bombing kindergartens, and threatening WWIII, Ukraine fights for the world's peaceful future.
- View all journals
Information technology articles from across Nature Portfolio
Information technology is the design and implementation of computer networks for data processing and communication. This includes designing the hardware for processing information and connecting separate components, and developing software that can efficiently and faultlessly analyse and distribute this data.
Latest Research and Reviews
Research 15 March 2023 | Open Access
Rethinking infrastructure design: evaluating pedestrians and VRUs’ psychophysiological and behavioral responses to different roadway designs
- , Austin Angulo
- & Arsalan Heydarian
Research 13 March 2023 | Open Access
An efficient antenna system with improved radiation for multi-standard/multi-mode 5G cellular communications
- Naser Ojaroudi Parchin
- , Heba G. Mohamed
- & Ahmed S. I. Amar
Evaluation of post-hoc interpretability methods in time-series classification
Various post-hoc interpretability methods exist to evaluate the results of machine learning classification and prediction tasks. To better understand the performance and reliability of such methods, which is particularly necessary in high-risk applications, Turbe et al. have developed a framework for quantitative comparison of post-hoc interpretability approaches in time-series classification.
- Hugues Turbé
- , Mina Bjelogrlic
- & Gianmarco Mengaldo
The value evaluation model design and business innovation for P-RAN based on multi-party interaction
- Fanrong Meng
- & Xin Chen
Research 12 March 2023 | Open Access
Multi-semantic feature fusion attention network for binary code similarity detection
- Bangling Li
- , Yuting Zhang
- & Ailiang Ma
Research 09 March 2023 | Open Access
Design of intelligent module design for humanoid translation robot by combining the deep learning with blockchain technology
- & Jie Deng
News and Comment
Comments & Opinion | 24 February 2023
Why artificial intelligence needs to understand consequences
A machine with a grasp of cause and effect could learn more like a human, through imagination and regret.
- Neil Savage
News | 13 February 2023
AI chatbots are coming to search engines — can you trust the results?
Google, Microsoft and Baidu are using tools similar to ChatGPT to turn Internet search into a conversation. How will this change humanity’s relationship with machines?
- Chris Stokel-Walker
Comments & Opinion | 26 January 2023
A challenge for rounded evaluation of recommender systems
The organizers of the EvalRS recommender systems competition argue that accuracy should not be the only goal and explain how they took robustness and fairness into account.
- Jacopo Tagliabue
- , Federico Bianchi
- & Patrick John Chia
News & Views | 02 December 2022
MRAM makes its mark
A compact and energy-efficient magnetoresistive random-access memory (MRAM) technology could help lower the power consumption of data storage and management.
- Atsufumi Hirohata
News | 25 November 2022
Audio long read: Science and the World Cup — how big data is transforming football
Researchers are showing their skills to help soccer coaches improve players and develop winning tactics.
- & Benjamin Thompson
News | 22 November 2022
Maths predicts World Cup winner — and more of this week’s best science graphics
Four charts from the world of research, selected by Nature editors.
- Explore articles by subject
- Guide to authors
- Editorial policies
- Browse All Articles
- Newsletter Sign-Up
No results found in working knowledge.
- Were any results found in one of the other content buckets on the left?
- Try removing some search filters.
- Use different search filters.
... computer science; and conducts research to develop the measurements and standards infrastructure for emerging information technologies and applications.
In this article, we rounded up ten interesting tech research topics and some ... is enough information accessible for you to complete your research paper.
about computer assisted analysis and research outcomes. The use of IT in accessing the literature. Health care information exists in both paper-based and
Quality Information Technology Topics For Research Paper · The effects of Artificial Intelligence on complex and tedious tasks · Discuss the development of
We examined 155 behavioral information systems research articles published from 1983-1958 and found that while this research is not rooted in a single
Articles most recently published online for this journal. Open Access. Research article. First published Mar 17, 2023
Is technology changing the way we read? Does an online format cause readers to skim rather than fully digest information? Is being able to find
Information technology articles from across Nature Portfolio. Definition ... Scientific Reports 13, 4278. Research 13 March 2023 | Open Access
The present research aims to study the effect of information ... The effect of information technology revolutions on Education, set of papers (Articles).
New research on information technology from Harvard Business School faculty on issues including the HealthCare.gov fiasco, online privacy concerns